The Fans Have Spoken: Sportsnet is Canada's #1 Sports Media Brand in 2016
Jan 6, 2017
Tweet this release: sprtsnt.ca/2iPNPay
TORONTO, Jan. 6, 2017 /CNW/ - For the second consecutive year, Sportsnet solidified its position as the destination for Canadian sports fans by closing out 2016 as Canada's #1 sports media brand.
In 2016, Sportsnet reached 30 million Canadians, with an average weekly reach of 12 million. It was a record year for Sportsnet television, radio and digital audiences and marked the best year in the brand's history.
"Storytelling remains at the heart of what we do, from grassroots and local sports to Canada's national teams and professional leagues," said Scott Moore, President of Sportsnet & NHL Properties, Rogers Media. "Canadians have a deep passion for sports and we look forward to bringing fans the stories and games in new and exciting ways in 2017."
Highlights from Sportsnet's 2016 record-setting year are as follows:
- For the period Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2016:
- Sportsnet networks delivered a 5.7 audience share, marking a 10% increase over last year and a 39% lead over its closest competitor (4.1 share)
- Sportsnet delivered an average minute audience of 232,000, marking a 7% increase over last year and a 42% lead over its closest competitor (164,000)
- A total of 127 Sportsnet broadcasts surpassed the 1 million viewer mark in 2016, with two surpassing 4 million viewers, and five surpassing 3 million viewers.
- The prime-time edition of Sportsnet Central was the most-watched sports news program in 2016, delivering an average minute audience 70% higher than its closest competitor
- Sportsnet Central delivered year-over-year growth in 2016 across the morning (23%), prime time (9%) and overnight (26%) editions
- The 2016 Blue Jays regular season was the most-watched Blue Jays season in network history, reaching 20 million Canadians and delivering an average audience of 1,011,000 viewers.
- The most-watched program on Sportsnet in 2016 was ALDS Game 3, Texas @ Toronto (Oct. 9) with an average audience of 4.8 million viewers
- For the 2016-17 NHL season to date, Sportsnet has experienced growth across the following NHL broadcasts vs. the same period last year:
- Hockey Night in Canada Game 1 is up 5%
- Hockey Night in Canada Pre-Game is up 42%
- Rogers Hometown Hockey is up 2%
- Edmonton Oilers regional broadcasts are up 12%
- Toronto Maple Leafs regional broadcasts are up 1%
- Sportsnet.ca achieved significant growth in 2016, with average monthly audiences up 42% year-over-year
- October 2016 was the highest month in Sportsnet.ca history with 4.28 million unique visitors, with Blue Jays postseason and start of the NHL season
Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE
In 2016, more hockey fans used Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE and consumed more content:
- Paid subscriptions increased 11%
- Total active users were up 9% in comparison to the entire 2015-16 NHL season average
- Streams started this season were up 25% in comparison to the same period last year
- After a strong direct-to-consumer launch in April 2016, Sportsnet NOW grew its paid subscriber base 205% in the second half of the year
- @Sportsnet Instagram followers were up 169%
- Sportsnet Facebook likes were up 41%
- @Sportsnet Twitter followers increased 28%
Sportsnet 590 The FAN (Toronto)
- In 2016, Canada's #1 sports radio station was up 15% in the coveted Men 25-54 demographic. Other growth areas in the targeted demo include:
- Dean Blundell & Co. (5:30 to 9 a.m. ET) was up 24%
- The Jeff Blair Show (9 a.m. to Noon ET) was up 92%
- Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown (4 to 7 p.m. ET) was up 6%
- Blue Jays Baseball radio broadcasts were up 12%
TV Sources: Numeris; Jan 1/15-Dec 31/15 vs. Jan 1/16-Dec 31/16; Sportsnet Total; Mo-Su 2a-2a; Total Canada
Radio Sources: Numeris; Jan 1/15-Dec 31/15 vs. Jan 1/16-Dec 31/16; CJCL; Mo-Su 5a-1a; Toronto CTRL
Digital Sources: comScore Media Metrix Multi-Platform Canada, Nov 2016; Zuora, MLBAM usage statistics, Neulion subscriber reporting
Sportsnet is Canada's #1 sports media brand, connecting Canadian sports fans to their favourite teams and athletes. Delivering storytelling on a local, regional, national and global level, the multiplatform brand consists of Sportsnet, sportsnet.ca, Sportsnet 590 The FAN, Sportsnet 960 The FAN, Sportsnet NOW, and the Sportsnet app. Sportsnet consists of four regional channels (Sportsnet East, Ontario, West and Pacific), and the nationally-distributed Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet 360, and Sportsnet World. Sportsnet is the official Canadian NHL national multimedia rights holder, and is also the official regional television broadcast rights holder for the Calgary Flames (including radio rights on Sportsnet 960 The FAN), Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs (including radio rights on Sportsnet 590 The FAN), Vancouver Canucks and Montreal Canadiens. Sportsnet also has exclusive TV & radio coverage of all 162 Blue Jays games, as well as other MLB games, Toronto Raptors, NBA, Grand Slam of Curling, Rogers Cup, CHL, Thursday Night Football, IndyCar, and extensive soccer programming including Premier League, Bundesliga, and CONCACAF.
SOURCE Rogers Media
For further information: Media Contacts: Meghann Cox, email@example.com, (m) 416.258.3296